The Assessor’s Office is overseen by the township Assessor who is a Certified Illinois Assessing Officer (C.I.A.O.). They provide local residents with assistance regarding real estate tax information, exemptions and general information about property in Thornton Township.
For questions or information, please call 708-596-6040, Ext. 3175.
There are many ways this department can assist taxpayers.
Here are some examples:
- Supply Homeowner’s Exemption information
- File Senior Citizen Homestead Exemptions
- File Senior Citizen Freeze Exemptions
- Assist residents with: Disabled Persons’ Exemption Disabled Veterans’
- Exemption Returning Veterans’ Exemption
- File paperwork for tax bill name and address change
- Help residents to organize appeal information
- Help to answer questions regarding your real estate tax bill
- Help with property characteristic changes
Taxpayers may use the township Assessor’s records to:
- locate taxpayer’s property;
- determine permanent index numbers; and
- acquire information on the building permit
- view data processed by the township Assessor for Cook County.
The township Assessor’s Office will also assist you in filing a complaint or an appeal of your assessment. This department has all the necessary forms and can advise you on any other documents you may need.
The Assessor’s Office maintains property records for more than 100,000 real estate parcels in Thornton Township, together with Sidwell and other maps. These maps are used to locate property for clients, i.e., real estate brokers, lawyers, city clerks, building commissioners and others as requested. This department also records and files building permits submitted by each of the 17 governmental entities comprising Thornton Township.