The Assessor’s Office is overseen by the township Assessor who is a Certified Illinois Assessing Officer (C.I.A.O.). They provide local residents with assistance regarding real estate tax information, exemptions and general information about property in Thornton Township.
For questions or information, please call 708-596-6040, Ext. 3175.
On behalf of Supervisor Frank M. Zuccarelli, the Board of Trustees and myself, we pray that you and your family members are all well during this Covid pandemic.
Notices from the Cook County Assessor’s Office have been mailed to all taxpayers in Thornton Township regarding the 2020 Triennial Reassessment which will affect your 2nd Installment taxes in 2021. The deadline for the filing of property appeals with the Cook County Assessors’ Office is Friday, September 25, 2020.
Please know that, we are striving to take every and all precautions to keep our constituents and staff safe and healthy while meeting your assessment needs during this pandemic. Your Thornton Township Assessors Office is Monday thru Thursday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. for the filing of property tax appeals should you require our assistance. We have scheduled the following Property Tax Sessions to provide information on the reassessment process, assist taxpayers with the filing of their appeal with the Cook County Assessor’s Office and the Board of Review also provide information regarding qualify tax saving exemptions that could help to lower your tax bill. Please, if possible, bring your 2nd Installment Property Tax Bill and Reassessment Notice that you recently received by mail from the Cook County Assessor’s Office.
- Thursday, September 10th 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., City of Markham City Hall, 16313 Kedzie Parkway, Markham, IL
- Thursday, September 17th, 6:00 p.m. City of Markham City Hall, 16313 Kedzie Parkway, Markham, IL
- Saturday, September 19th 10:00 a.m. until 12 p.m. (front lawn) 512 Paxton, Calumet City, IL
- Tuesday, September 22nd, 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Property Tax Drive-Up Service. Parking Lot of Thornton Township Building 333 E. 162nd Street, South Holland, IL
(NO RESERVATION NEEDED)
- Saturday, September 26th 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., Park Elementary School, 14200 Wentworth, Riverdale, IL
SEATING IS LIMITED DUE TO COVID-19 AND SOCIAL DISTANCING,
CALL (708) 596-6040 EXT. 3140 TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT. PLEASE INDICATE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS & TELEPHONE NUMBER DURING YOUR CALL. FACE MASKS REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES
FROM ALL OF US AT THORNTON TOWNSHIP, STAY SAFE AND BE BLESSED
CASSANDRA W. ELSTON, ASSESSOR
FRANK M. ZUCCARELLI, SUPERVISOR
There are many ways this department can assist taxpayers.
Here are some examples:
- Supply Homeowner’s Exemption information
- File Senior Citizen Homestead Exemptions
- File Senior Citizen Freeze Exemptions
- Assist residents with: Disabled Persons’ Exemption Disabled Veterans’
- Exemption Returning Veterans’ Exemption
- File paperwork for tax bill name and address change
- Help residents to organize appeal information
- Help to answer questions regarding your real estate tax bill
- Help with property characteristic changes
Taxpayers may use the township Assessor’s records to:
- locate taxpayer’s property;
- determine permanent index numbers; and
- acquire information on the building permit
- view data processed by the township Assessor for Cook County.
The township Assessor’s Office will also assist you in filing a complaint or an appeal of your assessment. This department has all the necessary forms and can advise you on any other documents you may need.
The Assessor’s Office maintains property records for more than 100,000 real estate parcels in Thornton Township, together with Sidwell and other maps. These maps are used to locate property for clients, i.e., real estate brokers, lawyers, city clerks, building commissioners and others as requested. This department also records and files building permits submitted by each of the 17 governmental entities comprising Thornton Township.